Add Some “Sex Appeal” with Silverlight and JQuery
Most of you are hopefully aware of Jan’s “SmartTools” for SharePoint on codeplex: http://www.codeplex.com/smarttools/. However just in case you aren’t I highly recommend taking a look at them. Recently Jan uploaded new versions of these tools (http://weblogs.asp.net/jan/archive/2009/01/22/new-release-of-the-smarttools-for-sharepoint-project.aspx), and I have personally used some to spread ideas or awareness of what silverlight/jquery can do in SharePoint (along with a few tweaks of my own).
One thing that’s really nice about the silverlight chart controls (as an example) is how they can generate ‘sex appeal’ for that presentation or proposal you are working on. It’s one thing to see functionality, and potential, but when you see cool charts, graphs, and interactive elements it normally generates alot of good excitement, and since Jan’s done most of the work to give you some examples (thanks Jan ;)) you just need to install, do a bit of configuration and voila, you have some cool content features that you can actually use right away.
There are plenty of other great silverlight and jquery projects and extensions for SharePoint out there as well.
Some Other Silverlight posts or projects I recommend taking a gander at:
- http://www.codeplex.com/SL4SP (Silverlight Blueprint for SharePoint)
- http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dd148643.aspx (Great article on using Silverlight WebPart’s and an exaple media player one.)
- http://www.triplewood.com/triplewood/html/SharePoint2007.aspx (SharePoint Silverlight Browser)
Some Other jQuery posts or projects I recommend taking a gander at:
- http://www.endusersharepoint.com/?p=1110 (Good intro and real solution for a SharePoint Issue using jQuery)
- http://httpcode.com/blogs/PermaLink,guid,c26d2d3f-f389-44d7-bd8f-2fae5c8a1415.aspx (Example of how to use it for a ‘select all’ functionality.
- http://www.codeplex.com/ShUIE (Inject JS and CSS fragments based on context of page.)
If you haven’t played with Silverlight or jQuery yet then hopefully this will help motivate you, or help you understand some ways it can be used (with minimal effort),